The monument is composed of a marble statue of a Confederate Common Soldier placed atop a tall granite shaft. The soldier stands at parade rest with a steadfast and fixed gaze, holding the barrel of his rifle. The base of the shaft is inscribed on all four sides and presents bas-relief carvings of a cannon and crossed swords below the inscription on the front face. The front of the column shows a tall Confederate flag in bas-relief, unfurled and wrapped around its pole.
The cornerstone had been laid in October 1910. It appears the monument was erected shortly thereafter as a news article from March 1912 called for funds to pay off debt for the monument that “has been erected more than a year.” It was not uncommon that sponsoring organizations would not unveil a monument that was not paid for. In this case the dedication took place almost two years after the memorial had been erected.
The monument is now used as a meeting place during Confederate Memorial Day to honor the “Immortal 600”, a group of 600 Confederate soldiers who were used as human shields to protect Union positions at Morris Island, S.C. Three members of the Immortal 600 were from Laurinburg.