The monument is in the shape of an arch, with a tall center column bearing an inscription honoring Confederate women. The center column is flanked on the left and right by a smaller arched section, each side showing a bas-relief image of Confederate women. The image on the left depicts Confederate women caring for a child with the antebellum date of 1840 inscribed above. In the right image, a woman is shown handing an Anson County flag to Confederate soldiers with the year 1861 inscribed above. The inscribed center section depicts the Great Seal of the Confederate States and the Confederate Flag. A granite urn for flowers sits on the lawn in front of the center of the monument.
This monument was built to recognize the efforts of Confederate women during the Civil War. The funding for the monument was left in the will of General W.A. Smith. The United Daughters of the Confederacy first organized in 1894 as the National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy. They provided material and educational support for Civil War veterans, their families and descendants, collected historical materials, and commemorated the memory of soldiers by organizing annual ceremonies and erecting local monuments.