The monument has a low two tiered granite base with rusticated edges topped by an obelisk resting on a finished granite plinth. In high relief on the plinths front face is a furled Confederate battle flag and the years 1861 and 1865. Below the flag is the words OUR SOLDIERS. Crossed sabers still in their scabbards adorn the monuments back face.
Judge Walter Clark was one of the most sought out orators of his time. He had a long and distinguished legal and political career and was a preeminent North Carolina Civil War historian. He edited the Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, in the Great War 1861 – 1865 (5 vols., 1901). He also battled on the side of “socialized democracy.” He was a supporter of women’s suffrage; labor’s right to organize and called for the ending of the poll tax and for the end to lynchings. To learn more about Walter Clark read his biographical essay “Clark, Walter McKenzie” by David Clark and Charles W. Eagles.
The statue was sold by the McNeel Marble Company from Marietta, Georgia, which produced many other Confederate statues and sold them all over the South, including Macon County Confederate Monument in Franklin, Pasquotank County Confederate Monument in Elizabeth City, Alamance County Confederate Monument in Graham, and Confederate Monument in Durham.